Telescopic Handler Training
A Telehandler is a more versatile forklift with a telescoping boom and a variety of attachments that can be fixed using pins or a quick hitch system. Attachments include forks, buckets, grabs, grapples, hooks and working platforms. The boom on the machine can be raised, lowered, extended and retracted. The chosen attachment can then be tilted forwards and backwards and any auxiliary services can be used such as opening and closing a grab. The long reach of the machine means that it is a cost effective replacement for a crane, able to lift heavy loads onto buildings.
Telescopic Handler Training Course Objectives
By the end of the course the operator should be able to:
- Load and unload vehicles.
- Carry out a pre-start inspection.
- Load and unload loadout towers.
- Operate safely under varying site conditions.
- Carry out minor adjustments and routine service.
- Understand the causes of instability of truck and loads.
- Set stabilisers correctly have machine stable and level.
- Demonstrate an understanding of responsibilities under relevant legislation.
- Operate machine safely and correctly in accordance with manufacturers manual and instructions and accepted good practice.
Telescopic Handler Training Course Summary
- Limitations of use
- Load weight assessment
- Relevant regulations/legislation
- Introduction to machine
- Safe Load Indicator (if fitted)
- Pre-start inspection/maintenance
- Travel over undulating ground
- Loading onto/off loadout towers
- Hill starts
- Use of stabilisers (if fitted)
- Refuelling procedures
- Bulk stacking
- Operators safety code
- Travelling on inclines
- Controls and instruments
- Components of lift trucks
- Introduction to hydraulics
- Loading/unloading vehicles
- Handling various types of loads
- Rated capacity charts
Telescopic Handler Training Certification
RTITB NORS Valid for 3 years.
Telescopic Handler Training Refresher Period
RTITB NORS Refresher Course after 3 years.
Any Other Relevant Information
The National Operator Registration Scheme (NORS) is the centralised validation, registration and certification scheme for all RTITB accredited training.
These courses meet the requirement of:
Awarding Bodies recommended period of training and ACOP
Approved Code of Practice for Rider Operated Lift Trucks: Operator Training.